Sunday, October 23, 2016

Week 9: INDI KAMO SULOD



Good week everyone!!! Hope you all are doing well.

This was another crazy and awesome week in the Philippines. The people here seriously make me laugh so much. When it rains they all but plastic bags on their heads. HA. Anyways moving on to the week:

The basketball boys are doing amazing, more and more of them join us in the lessons each time we come and they're so respectful. They're also really patient with me in trying to teach them and even help me with words I don't know. It's kind of rough because they don't understand me when I speak English but they also don't understand me when I speak Ilonggo. It's good though because they're nice haha. Every time they want to share a thought they have they always are so respectful and call us the full "sister", most people here just say "sis" which is also cute. Every time we visit them they want us to sing "Battle Hymn of the Republic", they love that song SO much it's awesome. We call them the Hallelujah boys now haha.

One of the basketball boys and recent converts (baptized beginning of September) has been going out teaching with us. His name is Ricky and his faith just blows me away. Maybe because he talks so fast when he's testifying but also because he has such an amazing spirit about him. I have to convince myself he's not a better missionary than me haha... the language will come though. 

Our investigator Gary was baptized on Saturday! He is seriously so golden. He's so respectful to us and the Elders and he has so much strength and knowledge in the gospel. He also thinks I'm hecka stupid since I can't speak Ilonggo but we communicate using caveman English haha. When we taught him Word of Wisdom though when I got here three weeks ago we committed him to stop and he hasn't smoked since. He just has such a desire to change.. it's amazing! 

Also when we go to teach him his nephew is there and he knows that if we're there, the TV will be turned off so we came a couple days ago and as we were walking up to Gary's house we were like "tag balay! Maayong gab-i!!" and the nephew opened the door, screamed "indi kamo magsulod!!" (something like you don't come in) and started freaking. out. Kicking, screaming, crying; the works. But eventually he just ran outside to pout while we taught Gary haha WHOOPS sorry kid but you are the spirit of contention in one tiny body.

Not a lot of weird stuff happened this week, other than the usual creepy old man that wants to shake my hand for a solid minute... I went on splits with another American girl here which is really interesting, being two white people walking across a dirt road in the middle of the Philippines. Hopefully this next week will be good as well. I love and miss all of you!!

Sister Pope

1) The best family ever! The dad and daughter will be baptized later this month and their faith is just so amazing. Ricky came to teach with us during this lesson, he for real is the bomb. Future missionary hopefully!!



2) Kim, Gary and Kyla. Kim and Kyla are Gary's fellowshippers!! For real, don't underestimate children. They're the reason he started being interested in the church and they'd help us teach lessons too.


3) Us with Gary! He isn't smiling which is WEIRD, he's always cheesin but I guess the sun was hecka bright


4) More of the Tobongbanua family. We made spaghetti for the kids and this is just them munching on it. For real the cutest kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment